Mistakes that cause you to drain your Facebook budget
Errors that cause you to drain your Facebook budget
1. Mis-targeting overlapping audience segments
When viewing ads, a certain part of users may correspond to several targeting settings at once. Their display in different groups often causes the following problems:
• the specialist has difficulty in choosing more effective targeting options;
• attentiveness of users is reduced due to frequent viewing of advertisements.
To eliminate this problem, you can use the Facebook tool, which demonstrates the intersection of several audiences. To do this, go to the "Audiences" section of your account settings. Then you need to mark the segments of interest and proceed to "Show the intersection of audiences."
This tool will help you compare the composition of your saved and custom audiences and assess the extent to which they overlap.
2. Incorrect optimization
Facebook has several ways to optimize your ads based on your chosen campaign goal, such as reach, landing page views, leads, and more.
In the settings of the ad group, an event is selected for which the group will be optimized. This setting determines who will see the ad. If an advertiser chooses to optimize for link clicks, Facebook will deliver the ad to those more likely to click through.
An incorrectly set goal can lead to incorrect optimization, as well as to a decrease in efficiency.
3. Poor budget planning
A large number of settings in the ad account can be easily confusing, so budget management in Facebook Ads can only be performed by experienced advertisers. The daily budget allows you to balance expenses by day and lead to the maximum conversions. However, even if the advertising is ineffective, the money calculated for the daily promotion is spent.
The budget for the entire period of validity fits within the amount that is allocated for promotion for the entire duration of ad impressions. This option is designed to optimize advertising for the entire period of the campaign. But uneven spending of money can seriously complicate budget management.
The apparent uselessness of Facebook campaigns or an inappropriate outcome may indicate misallocation of advertising funds.
4. Audience segmentation
Logical and motivated segmentation is encouraged, without unnecessary audience restrictions. Narrowing down too much can be a disadvantage for Facebook campaigns. They will not leave the learning phase and this will lead to the fact that advertising does not bring the expected result.
It is known that the smaller the audience on Facebook, the higher the CPM. That is, reaching the same audience will be more expensive if you split your targeting options into not fewer, but more ad groups.
5. Manual allocation of placements
Many advertisers, when setting up their campaigns, are tempted to manually select where to display their ads, which can significantly harm the campaign's performance.
The audience for the ad is selected using algorithms in accordance with the specified targeting. That is why it will be the same regardless of the ad placements.
Limiting placements can reduce Facebook's ability to deliver results. But for the same audience, Facebook will show ads less often and thereby reduce expenses, which, as a result, will increase revenue.
To accurately select places, you must first set the automatic choice of placement, and only then proceed to manual configuration. Thus, it will be possible to build on the data, choosing the most effective placements for the business.
6. Underestimating the sales funnel
Advertising on Facebook aims to familiarize the user closely with the features of the sales funnel.
Running a campaign for Reach, Video Views, or Engagement requires the creation of remarketing lists to show audiences at the top of the funnel with CTAs in the rest of the funnel. This will guide the audience through all the stages of the funnel. If you ignore it, you will not be able to benefit from the launched campaigns.
7. Using boring creatives
The same creatives can not only significantly reduce the effectiveness of advertising, but also cause negative associations among consumers in relation to the brand. Anyone will be annoyed by the repetition of already boring advertising. Changing the creatives in the campaign will help get rid of the problem.
One of the main reasons for the lack of creative updates during the campaign is the time-consuming process. However, there are several ways to make it easier to create creatives:
1. Motivate yourself with the work of other brands. Examples of creatives are hosted in the advertising library, and ads launched on Facebook Ads, Instagram, etc. are collected there.
2. Pick up images in photo stocks. Try not to use top illustrations, as they have already become boring for users and may not work.
3. Use banner builders. Templates for posts, covers, avatars, and other illustrations are offered. The interface of such constructors is convenient, which makes it accessible not only for designers.
4. Subscribe to graphic sites. You can use and edit ready-made templates for advertising.
We recommend that you enter a request to find creatives in the Yandex and Google search engines and proceed to the "Pictures" section.
Effective Problem Solving
1. Make sure your campaign and ad group audiences aren't competing for the same audience.
2. Check if the campaign goals are set correctly and you will not have problems with optimization.
3. Determine if the advertising budget is calculated correctly in the campaign.
4. Don't try to narrow the audience too much to allow campaigns to exit the learning phase.
5. At the very beginning of the campaign, download the automatic placement selector. Choose manual control after collecting site performance data.
6. Set up campaigns to transfer users from any stage of the sales funnel.
7. Use different creatives in your advertising campaign.